4.02.2009

Autism Awareness Day

Today is Autism Awareness Day and I would like to encourage you to check out a few sites I find extremely education and beneficial. See my favorite links on right. As a parent with a child on the spectrum, it's been wonderful for me to find valuable resources to help my daughter. I am not sure if it is understood that Autism is not a disease that can be cured. It is something my daughter will always have and I can't give her a pill to cure her. While social skills can be taught, there are areas that can not. It becomes a matter of tolerance.
The best situation is to apply a structured environment and yet it needs to be flexible. How can that be? Isn't that contradictory? Why yes it is. We are all creatures of habit, we have our likes as well as our dislikes. We like our routines and deviating from the norm is uncomfortable. I am sure there is something that causes you to feel anxiety. A few examples, flying, spiders, and public speaking. We consider these normal triggers for anxiety. For my daughter, she has different scenarios that some people find odd. It could be a loud noise or particular smell.
While we try to prepare her for schedule changes, it is not always possible and sometimes it just has to be. I find that she has embraced these changes better over the last year. Still, it is impossible to prepare her for every scenario. Those that know me are very familiar with a few occurrences.
Each day we learn and each day we move a step closer to J finding herself. I don't consider myself different than any other parent. Every parent wants their child to thrive in life. While there are various aspects to what one deems a successful life, it's the concept that is consistent. We all want the best for our child. Essentially, we are the same.

3 comments:

Martha

I read your story just now. Off course you are no different than any other parents. We all want the same for our kids in life! And it is so good of you to make people more aware of Autism.
Wish you all the best with your daughter!! And thanks for sharing...
~Martha~

ScrapAddict

God Bless! J is lucky to have you!!

scrappygal

I am there with you ! You are a great mom and a "do-er" Yes I made up the word...but I know that you know waht I mean. I think our kids have given us the ability to realize that we have much more strentgh than we ever knew and have changed our perspective for the better. Don't you see the world is such a different way than ever before? I am grateful and I know that you are too. Big hugs to you!

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to leave me a message. It is greatly appreciated! ♥ Amy